Mission: To respect the music and dance of Spain’s culture through education and performance.
Goals: To create appreciation for Spanish dance and music, specifically flamenco, throughout Kansas City.
Leadership: Tamara La Garbancito Carson, Founder and Artistic Director
From the original members of Olé Music & Dance of Spain:
- Joan Esposito joined the professional touring company of Jose Molina.
- Miguel Marin became business manager of the New York based Carlota Santata Spanish Dance Company. Miguel now owns Marin Production Company which produces flamenco shows throughout the world.
- Melinda Hedgecorth danced with a a professional flamenco company in Seattle, Washington and has returned to Andalucia in Spain in 2004 to study and absorb more of this art form.
- Erika Hernandez is currently performing with a professional dance company in Brazil.
- Christine Farris, a student of Tamara La Garbancito Carson, was chosen to perform in the Summer 2007 tour “Young Tanzsommer.”
Current members of Olé Music & Dance of Spain are comprised of energetic and diverse working professionals who are committed to the study and preservation of traditional Flamenco music and dance, enriching the community through private and group instruction, master classes and performance. Members of Olé are widely varied; some are professional dancers, PhD’s, students, professional women in their fields, and many other vocations. All members of the troupe are committed to the independent study of the Flamenco dance form, continually training and performing both on a national and international level.
Please see the Current Roster of Artists for further details.
Educational outreach programs servicing the region as well as metropolitan areas, developed and managed first by Young Audiences and later by Cultural Kaleidoscope over the last decade, are now available as an outreach program through Olé Music & Dance of Spain directly.